Sunday, May 04, 2008

 

Sun., May 4, 2008

Day two in Belize!
I woke up..."Hokay...where am I? Oh right...Belize!" What a great thought! I looked across the room and saw the two girls from the home who had been allowed to stay at the guest house with me-they were still sound asleep; when I looked at the clock I realized that it was 6am and that the time difference was making a morning person out of me! The lack of sleep the night before quickly knocked me back out and I woke up at 10. Bob had decided to go to church even though Darlene and I stayed at the home, so we spent the morning in a quiet fashion, waiting for him to return.
Lunch was served as soon as he arrived- it was delicious and consisted of rice and beans or beans and rice (Bob informed me tonight that there IS a difference), chicken, and potatoe salad. After lunch I spent some time with the little boys and also took some time to journal and reflect. The afternoon was relaxing; I sat and talked with Bob and Darlene about the children, the home, and this country.
Around 4pm, Bob, Darlene, and I went to Dangriga. We bought some food supplies and also stopped to visit girls who had used to live at Hosannah house. I was also able to see the hospital I will be helping at this next week. I enjoyed watching Bob and Darlene interact with the people of Belize- everyone is a friend to them and they seem to be quite popular with the local people. After grabbing our supplies, we ate dinner at a chinese restaraunt and I had my first taste of freshly squeezed pineapple juice. Absolutely amazing! I even let myself slurp my straw when I reached the bottom of the glass. :)
When we returned to the Hosanna house, I spent some time with the older girls watching a movie. I am not surprised, but is interesting how they base their knowledge of America off movies. I fielded questions such as if I went to school with Troy Bolton (of Disney's "Highschool Musical") and if I knew Paul, from America. I laughed as they sang and showed off dance moves they had learned from movies. Before I knew it, bedtime had arrived and I said goodnight to the girls. Now I'm alone in the the guest house- excited and eager for tomorrow to begin. Tomorrow with its new experiences and blank slate waiting to be filled...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?